Catherine Harley, FAQs (Frequently Asked Questions...and Answers)
Q: How long do sew in extensions last ?
A: Sewn in Extensions should not be kept in the hair longer than 6 to 8 weeks this is optimal time to avoid damage to the natural hair, scalp and edges.
Removing extensions after 6 to 8 weeks also helps prevent the natural hair from matting. The hair naturally sheds 75 to 100 hairs per day; when the hair is braided up this doesn't allow for the hair to naturally shed as it would through the daily maintenance process of combing and brushing.
Removing extensions allows your natural hair to be properly maintained and helps avoid the damage that can occur when your hair becomes matted.
Q: Any advice for growing my natural hair long?
A: Here are some tips for growing your hair:
- Start with a good shampoo and conditioner. Check the label for key words like strengthening , and protein. These ingredients will strengthen your hair and make it less susceptible to breakage, which is a key factor in hair growth.
- Eliminate heated styling options and choose roller sets.
- Protect your hair before going to sleep or lying down with a scarf.
- Try a satin pillow case that can be purchased in a beauty supply store,
- Oil your scalp on a regular basis every 1 to 3 days depending on your hair type massage in to scalp with finger tips to stimulate blood flow to the hair follicle.
- Keep your ends trimmed don't wait to long to trim your ends. Neglected ends can split right up the hair shaft.
Q: What are the benefits of using a boar bristle brush?
A: A boar bristle brush is very good for the hair. It stimulates natural oils in the scalp which causes a natural luster to the hair.
Q: Can extensions be good for the hair?
A: Yes, extensions can be beneficial. A extensions can allow your hair a vacation from chemicals and can also be a way to help your natural hair grow out away from a re laxer.
Visit my gallery to see examples of extensions.
Q: How do extensions work?
A: Extensions can be sewn in or bonded. You can select synthetic hair or human hair. Human hair can be styled as your own hair can; it can be set, cut, or curled etc. On the other hand synthetic hair cannot withstand heat so it often comes pre-curled or pre-styled.
Another benefit to extensions is the variety of hair colors, and the ability to try different styles and colors.
Sewn in extensions is a process that works when your natural hair is cornrowed and hair used for weaving is sewn onto the cornrow. This style can last from 6 to 8 weeks and you will want to come into the salon every 1-3 weeks for tightening.
Bonded extensions is a process that works with human hair or synthetic hair attached to your hair using a bonding agent. This style can last 2 to 3 weeks. Bonding is not recommended for a person with a dry scalp or a problem with sweating. Dry scalps need oil which can negatively effect the bonding agent.
Q: How do I keep my gray hair sparkling and shiny?
A: Check the label for products that state "formulated for gray or white hair". The shampoos are often a deep purple in color to cancel out the yellow cast. A little of this product can go a long way so follow the manufacturers directions very carefully if you want to try this at home. Better yet... contact me for an appointment and I'll get you started!